HiSET ADA Accommodations Policy and Process
PSI is committed to serving test takers with disabilities or health-related needs by providing services and reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Accommodations are available for test takers with diagnosed disabilities that include, but are not limited to:
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Psychological or psychiatric disorders
- Learning and other cognitive disabilities
- Physical disorders/chronic health disabilities
- Intellectual disabilities
- Hearing and visual impairment
Accommodations Available Without Prior Approval
Some test takers with disabilities or who would otherwise have difficulty taking the test may utilize the following accommodations without prior approval:
- Transparent overlays
- Scratch paper (to be collected by test center personnel at end of testing session)
- Earplugs (not attached to any electronic device)
- Plain, unmarked straightedge to assist with keeping place while reading. You may use a piece of scrap paper for this purpose, but it must be returned at the end of the testing session
- Handheld non-electronic magnifying device (without memory or camera)
- Seat cushion/back pillow, or footstool. Item will be inspected by test center personnel before and after testing
- Prescription medication. Pills must be unwrapped and not in a bottle/container. Test Takers may bring pills that are still in the packaging if the packaging states they MUST remain in the packaging, such as nitroglycerin pills that cannot be exposed to air. (Packaging will be inspected by test center administrators and an Incident Report will be submitted)
- Service animals
- Medical devices (e.g., asthma inhaler, hearing aid, pacemaker, insulin pump on vibrate or silent, oxygen tank, TENS stimulator)
- Highlighter or black felt pen for essays and scratch work only
Accommodations Requiring Prior Approval
Test takers must request these accommodations and get approval prior to scheduling their test appointments. This list includes some, but not all, of the available accommodations.
- Extended time
- Separate room
- Audio cassette or other form of recorded audio
- Large print
- Screen magnification
- Calculator/talking calculator
- Scribe or keyboard entry aide
- Additional supervised break time
- Sign language-interpreted instructions for test takers who are deaf or hard of hearing
All other requests for accommodations must be approved in accordance with PSI’s policies and procedures and must be made online using the PSI Accommodations Request Form prior to scheduling. Please note, requests cannot be submitted by phone.
Creation of a myHiSET account is required before accommodations can be approved.
To request accommodations, submit documentation from a medical authority or learning institution describing the disability or limitation and the accommodation being requested.
Verification from the medical authority or learning institution that rendered the diagnosis must be submitted to PSI on letterhead or stationery of the authority or specialist and include all the following:
- Test taker’s name
- Description of disability and limitations related to testing
- Recommended accommodation/modification
- Name, title and telephone number of the medical authority or specialist
- Original signature of the medical authority or specialist
Failure to submit documentation in its entirety will prolong the accommodations approval process and may result in denial.
Once documentation has been received and reviewed, the test-taker will receive a response notifying them of their approval/denial. The email will include instructions to contact our accommodation department for scheduling if approved or a request for additional information if denied.
Test takers granted accommodation in accordance with the ADA MUST work with PSI’s Exam Accommodations team to schedule their test.
Phone: 800-367-1565 x 6750
Email: [email protected]
Disability Accommodation FAQs
Have more questions about disability accommodations? See our FAQ page for more information.
Contact Accommodations Services
For further questions, please contact PSI Accommodations Team: 800-367-1565 ext 6750.