HiSET Item Writer/Reviewer – Contractor Position
PSI Services, a global leader in workforce management solutions and delivery of testing programs, is currently seeking to establish an ongoing relationship with independent contractors to support our item and exam development review process for a high-stakes nationally administered high school equivalency assessment (HiSET). The review process involves reviewing sets of independent or discrete multiple-choice items, as well as stimulus passages with dependent multiple-choice items.
We have an immediate need for experienced and qualified reviewers to review, improve, and/or enhance created assessment items in order to prepare them for publication for our high school equivalency exam within the conditions, timeframes, and arrangements set by PSI. We are looking for strong subject matter experts to review content for the exams assessing the English language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science domains. If you are an experienced writer and/or reviewer, we encourage you to apply now.
This work will be completed remotely and is expected to begin in September 2023. Successful applicants will be required to attend a paid remote training prior to beginning review processes.
Payment – Competitive fees for activity
Outline of duties
- Review and update assessment items and explanations with attention to quality control of test items, style, fact-checking, consistency of terminology, exam-specific criteria, principles of good question construction, format, clarity, clarification of content issues, and evaluation of edits/comments and flawed items in a timely manner
- Help to resolve reviewer and client feedback on test items and test forms
- Assist with test construction activities
- Ensure the items and forms meet the assessment blueprints and standards as required and that newly developed items are free of bias
- Collaborate with the curriculum and academic team to improve the overall item quality, style, consistency, and value
- Be a qualified and licensed teacher with at least 5 years of experience teaching at the K-12 or adult education levels
- Have demonstrable experience with item writing, reviewing, and editing exam-like questions for high school students
- Proficiency using Microsoft tools, such as Word, Excel, and SharePoint
- Strong familiarity with the college and career standards terminology and standard style manuals
- Excellent proofreading skills and strong attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrative ability to manage time and meet strict deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills that allow the reviewer to engage professionally, confidently, and effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Must be able to work independently and accept full responsibility for quality and timeliness of work
- Must demonstrate trustworthiness and commitment to maintain confidentiality and integrity of secure test materials (as will be detailed in our non-disclosure agreement)
- Must have a secure personal device, which is compliant with our minimum specifications (as will be detailed in the contract), a reliable internet connection, and a private personal e-mail address
- Must reside in and be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Familiarity with copyright requirements
- Experience with high stakes high school assessments
- Experience as an item writer for high school equivalency assessments
If interested, please email your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with “HiSET Item Reviewer” as the subject line. Successful applicants will be required to complete a screening task.